Wednesday, September 17, 2014

As the days go by

Thailand, or at least the Island of Phuket, seems to really love the colour pink. Yes, pink. We notice it everywhere. Large buildings painted entirely pink, bus signs plus many others, men and women both owning pink motorscooters and helmets, vehicles (including garbage trucks and buses), chairs, clothing, etc. Also popular here are cartoon characters plastered onto everything, whether owned by male or female. Perhaps this indicates their young-at-heart spirit!

There is also a multitude of different types of street lights, many quite ornate. Our favourite is just before approaching the pier at Chalong Harbour.

Golden illumination

I was fighting a cold that I just couldn't get rid of for several weeks. I finally went to the hospital (which is where you go for a doctor appointment) and was informed that I had pneumonia! He felt that I was also dehydrated (I know, I never drink enough) and I had a seriously low blood pressure. Once admitted to the hospital, I was hooked up to IVs for antibiotics and fluids. The next day I was feeling much better and headed back to the boat.

But after running a course of antibiotic pills, I was still not feeling top notch. A young nurse in a clinic took my blood pressure and suggested that my electrolytes were probably low. Bingo! After drinking a few Gatorades and other sport-type drinks, I was feeling 100%.

A long time ago, a sailing friend of ours, who by the way drinks water non-stop, fainted. She too was lacking in minerals and told that she needed electrolyte drinks.

With all the rain we have been getting in the past couple of weeks, we had quite a bit in our dinghy. What to do? Take a bath!

Splish, splash...

With the weather not the best, we are in no hurry to head out to the islands. As there is no problem finding minor boat jobs to do, some of our slack time is diminished with such chores. World cruising as they say is defined as fixing your boat in exotic places!

1 comment:

The Intrepid II Crew said...

So glad you discovered a solution to your 'under the weather-ness'. Wishing you both continued safe and healthy travels.